The Life of Liz

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. ~Anne Frank

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Dance Dance, We're Fallin' Apart

Last night, for the very first time EVER, I went swing dancing. May I just say that there is now no part of me that doesn't hurt. But I'm really getting ahead of myself here...

My best friend, Molly is married to a man who is a competitive swing dancer. In her quest to be a good wife, she is getting into swing dancing in an attempt to hone her skills and find her own style within the Lindy Hop world. So she decided to go downtown for a quick lesson and then a dance. And I, in my quest to horribly injure my muscles....er I mean be a good friend and get some exercise....went with her.

Thus did I find myself sitting in a corner wondering why I had eight feet, none of which seemed to be working right, yet ALL of which seemed to be left and trying not to cry.

Fortunately, that was just the pre-dance class, the night improved from there! Molly, being a good friend, encouraged me not to give up, poured a couple red apple martinis into me, and forced me to go to the dance. We spent a bit of time in a dark corner going over the basic swing step (altogether now "step, step, triplestep, step step triplestep!") and your basic Charleston (which when i do it goes something like step, kick, step, kick, kick, stagger) until I could do them without falling over.

The real fun began when she recruited some of her kind, patient, and very skilled friends from the dance circuit to come and help me. Apparently almost everyone who dances remembers their First Night and is more than willing to help out a noob. Scott and David taught me how to acquit myself credibly (or at least to only have two feet that went more or less where I told them too). I had an amazing time being whirled around the dance floor by those two nice men. I really can't thank them enough.

So, if you ever take up swing dancing, I urge you to keep in mind the following bits of advice:
1. Bring an extra shirt -- you will sweat more than you've ever sweated in your life!
2. Always have your left hand on your partner's shoulder by the count of 3, or he will end up grabbing your boob.
3. Don't be afraid to ask someone who looks like they know what they're doing for help, but make sure it's a slow song.
4. Apply icy/hot to your aching body only AFTER you have removed your contact lenses, or you will regret it immensely.

3 comments:

AllAlleys July 31, 2007 at 3:24:00 PM MDT  

Hey !! FIrst visit to your blog. I knew you had one but I also knew that the posts were the same as your blog on myspace so didn't worry about visiting. I don't get onto myspace much anymore ... just when an email comes saying someone has left a message ... I find blogger much easier to use ... not so much fiddly stuff ! Anyway ... just wanted to leave a comment !! AND I LOVE your post to AllAlley's about the church when Gma and Gpa got married ! How cool !! Now we just need a wedding photo of them !! Do you think your Mom has one ? I don't recall coming across any when we sorted through the photos at my parents house ...
Ok ... gotta go. Just noticed I'm not logged in as Bonnie ... but as AllAlleys so there, now you know who this is from. Love, Bon

Bonnie August 5, 2007 at 4:26:00 PM MDT  

This post cracked me up. I didn't read it the other day when I was here but came back this morning to read it. FUNNY stuff ! Good mental pictures !! Love it ! Bon

Bonnie August 28, 2007 at 2:59:00 PM MDT  

It must be about time for another blog post from Buggy Jill !!

Hey ... check out www.leahsrecipeexchange.blogspot.com You'll like it ... you could even join and post to it !!!

About Me

My photo
A brand new mom trying to navigate the crazy world of mixed families, babies, and working full time. Phew! Just writing that makes me want to lie down.

Followers

Blog Archive

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP