The Life of Liz

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. ~Anne Frank

Monday, September 24, 2007

The Next Great Cooking Star

I love my family.

I know this is true because yesterday, for love of my aunt, I spent a lot of time standing on a chair. This may not strike you right away as a token of sacrificial love, but keep in mind that I am terrified of heights. I avoid ladders, those untrustworthy devils, and I do not willingly stand on chairs for any reason.

But there I was, standing on a chair, holding a camcorder, stuffing the panic deep down, nearly to my socks.

Why? Because my aunt will soon become America's next cooking star. Celebrity chef Rachael Ray is holding a contest called "So You Think You Can Cook?" to discover a regular person (meaning, with no formal cooking training) who is an amazing cook. The winner will win a bunch of cool toys and co-host a show with Rachael Ray on the Food Network.

Well, anyone who has spent more than 10 minutes with my aunt thinks she can cook. So yesterday we made an audition tape! I, being the head of the tech ministry for my church's youth group, have some experience running a video camera and editing the footage. So it fell to me to stand on a chair and find the best angle for filming both my aunt, and the food.

After much fluffing of hair, changing of clothes, and hurriedly making our kitchen look as though no one ever cooks there, we began filming. My aunt made an Italian dish called pasta putenska, which is a delicious (and healthy) dish make from fresh tomatoes, capers, anchovies, and kalamata olives. It's quick, it's easy, and it's simply DIVINE.

The main theme of the video was "where have you been all my life." Since we've been on this healthy eating kick, we've had to find ways, other than fats and creams, to make our food flavorful. Thus have we discovered all kinds of new flavors that we wish had been in our diets all along.

With obesity so alarmingly on the rise in the U.S., it's important, even critical, to find ways for the average American to eat healthier without sacrificing flavor and happiness. Therefore, Ms. Ray, it's your patriotic duty to give my aunt a television show!

Stay tuned...

2 comments:

Bonnie September 24, 2007 at 3:39:00 PM MDT  

FUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see the final product ... will I be able to ?? I hope so !!

So ... can you email me that putaneska ? And any other recipes that are good ... I am struggling, a bit discouraged, wishing I had people to cook with !!!

Mrs. Wallace September 26, 2007 at 10:11:00 AM MDT  

You should send this blog to Ms. Ray! :-)

About Me

My photo
A brand new mom trying to navigate the crazy world of mixed families, babies, and working full time. Phew! Just writing that makes me want to lie down.

Followers

Blog Archive

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP