The Life of Liz

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. ~Anne Frank

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Sweet Nectar of Life

On Waiting:

It seems most of my life is spent waiting.  Waiting for the food to get out of customs, waiting for transportation, waiting for the girls to finish getting ready, waiting to understand what just happened.  It's odd, but I never really figured that giving up my life also involved giving up any control over my schedule.


On Opinions:

I have very few, as it turns out.  This makes the people here crazy.  I rarely have enough information to form an opinion on much of anything, yet I am frequently called upon to make decisions.  Seriously? Eating at a buffet was quite the experience.  "What do you want?" Patricia kept asking me.  Well, I would tell you, if only I had any idea what any of the food IS! Taking a flying leap into the dark, I selected the fish, which happened to be the most delicious piece of fish I've ever had.

People ask my questions I can't answer absolutely all the time.  I fear I come off as rather insipidly stupid at times.  Yesterday, I traveled up to Matagalpa and Jinotega, both in the mountains to the northeast.  In Matagalpa they asked me if I wanted to live there.  I'd been there for 15 minutes, what exactly was I supposed to say?


On Coffee:

I have been a frequent imbiber of the Sweet Nectar of Life for some time now.  Many of you have seen me in the early mornings and know that the best that can be said of me at such times is that I am a protein-based life form.  Still, I have gone all this time being quite the fan of coffee yet I couldn't pick a coffee plant out of a line up.  Until yesterday! Matagalpa and Jinotega are the regions in which coffee is grown in Nicaragua.  I always thought it had to be pretty hot to grow coffee, but the mountain regions are far cooler (mas fresco) than Managua.  As it turns out, I don't know crap about growing anything.

One of the people I met yesterday gave me a bag of fresh coffee. Oh Glory Jesus, it smells like heaven.  Sometimes being an honored guest is a huge pain in my anti-social rear, such as when I have to pose for 7,000 pictures or Say a Few Words.  But there are other times when it's awesome! This was one of those times.


On Shopping:

Well, I broke down and went shopping.  I am now the proud owner of a fancy dress.  It's a bronze halter top dress.  May I just say, I look goooooooood.  The dress would have cost $130 if I'd have bought it in the States.  Here, I spent 400...Cordoba.  Which is less than $20.  Woot!  I'll be sure to post some photos of me all dolled up.  I hardly recognize myself.


On Children:

This may surprise many of you, but I find that I like the kiddies.  It's not just that they are super adorable (although they are) or noticeably less bratty than American kids (which isn't hard).  They are so open and loving.  They don't care a whit if I don't talk much.  They are so happy to meet me for no reason whatsoever.  I can just smile and laugh and let them try to crush my hand in a handshake.  And they snuggle up next to me and sneak me cookies during church.


And now dear friends, I am going to go sculpt my arm muscles, a/k/a do laundry. 

1 comments:

Maeve's Momma February 19, 2011 at 8:12:00 PM MST  

Can't wait to see you rock the halter dress! And I'm so interested to know what fresh coffee smelled like!

About Me

My photo
A brand new mom trying to navigate the crazy world of mixed families, babies, and working full time. Phew! Just writing that makes me want to lie down.

Followers

Blog Archive

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP