The Life of Liz

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. ~Anne Frank

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggidy Jig

On Work:

Gloria a Dios and hallelujah the food is being released!! It should be sitting in our warehouse by the end of this week. All together now: yaaaaayyyyyyyyyy!!!!!

In case you were keeping track, I’ve been here over two months without a single bleedin’ thing to do. And if you think sitting around, basically on vacation, for two months sounds great, you’re an idiot, because I’m here to tell you that it’s extremely difficult.


On the Mass of Incandescent Gas:

That howl of pain you hear is me. I got wicked burnt doing laundry today.  I feel rather like, as I was scrubbing my clothes, someone else was pouring boiling oil on my back. Remember how I’ve been here for two months and have somehow not yet learned that the sun is viciously close and sunscreen should be applied before commencing outdoor activities and not when they’re nearly finished?? I’m beginning to think people gang up on my to hassle me about my health because they’re afraid my carelessness is going to cause me permanent harm. They may have a legitimate point.


On Regresar:

With the coming of the food, I have returned to my domicile in Loma Linda.  I am really going to miss Ciudad Sandino.  It was so nice to be adopted into a big wonderful family.  I’m going to miss Patricia, my big sister; Edelma, who teases me about boys while she does my nails; Ines, who cooks so fabulously; Juan de Dios, who is wise in all things; Yohanna, Steven, Ester, Melissa, Felipe, everybody! They made me feel like I could belong here. They taught me how to do things the Nicaraguan way. Things that you wouldn’t really even think of, like how to turn on a stove without a pilot light. But when every tiny thing is so appallingly unfamiliar, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed.

They made me real. When I first got here, everyone treated me like some kind of movie star/saint and it was terribly disorienting. The Udiel family gave me broom blisters; I really can’t thank them enough.


On Killer:

One thing I didn’t really think about in coming back to Loma Linda was the fact that dogs don’t have month and a half long memories of people they knew for two weeks. There I was, washing my undies without a care in the world, when Killer (the guard dog) wakes up and comes flying out of the shed barking like crazy, spit flying from his bared fangs, murder in his eyes. Only the very stout chain around his neck preserved the structural integrity of my skin. Let me tell you how I very nearly had another pair of underpants to clean!

I’m sure he’ll (re)get used to me in a day or two, but holy crap! That was scary beyond all reason!

3 comments:

Pat March 23, 2011 at 4:45:00 PM MDT  

Oh, I'm so sorry - I didn't realize that you were down there with nothing to do. That would be awful. I'm so glad that you had wonderful people who adopted you. I love reading your blogs - keep up the great work and know that you are constantly in our prayers!
Pat

Maeve's Momma March 23, 2011 at 5:50:00 PM MDT  

On the food: Whoop whoop!

On the sun: Nice TMBG reference.

On regresar: Thought you were talking about coming home to us... pout.

On Killer - Lookout! Bring treats next time!

beckala March 23, 2011 at 6:48:00 PM MDT  

The food is coming!! Yaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy!!!!!!!

About Me

My photo
A brand new mom trying to navigate the crazy world of mixed families, babies, and working full time. Phew! Just writing that makes me want to lie down.

Followers

Blog Archive

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP