The Life of Liz

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. ~Anne Frank

Thursday, June 30, 2011

For Good

On Birthdays:

Once you reach a certain age, birthdays tend to make people insufferably reflective. It's self-indulgent, pompous, and totally my turn. So let us take a moment to stop and smell the xochitl and hork up the cud that was my 26th year of life.

Last year at this time:

I was still a college student
I had never set off a firework
I was painfully monolingual (the true extent of my Spanish was ordering at Chipotle)
I still lived in Denver
So did my cat
I had a paying job
I didn't have a boyfriend
I had never said the word fijate
I didn't know $#*& about poverty
I took showers with hot water
I went barefoot in my apartment (and the shower for that matter)
I had the vague, angsty unhappiness that comes from not doing anything with your life
I had never experienced the hideous crap wonder and joy that is Spanish literature

I had no idea what I was going to do with myself after my mission stint was up
I never worried about mice running across my toothbrush

Now, of course, not one of those things is true. It's been a strange year. Almost nothing happened like I thought it would. Sometimes that was a really bad, frustrating thing, but in other cases, it was an unasked for, unhoped for blessing.

This year, more than any other, has changed me. It's like everything I ever was, every version of me, and everything I thought I might be, got tossed in the crucible and what came out was the real Me. Not some completely new person, rather a better rendered sketch of who I am.

I hope you still know me when I come home.


"Who can say if I've been changed for the the better? I do believe I have been changed for the better. Because I knew you, I have been changed for good." 

4 comments:

Maeve's Momma June 30, 2011 at 7:46:00 PM MDT  

Great song :) I am still pretty happy not to worry about mice running across my toothbrush, but my life has changed pretty dramatically in the last year as well.

Pat June 30, 2011 at 9:38:00 PM MDT  

I love that song. It is amazing what can happen when you let go and let God! Don't know that I could handle mice running over my toothbrush....

Mrs. Wallace June 30, 2011 at 10:10:00 PM MDT  

oh my gosh...Lindsey and I sang this song over and over and over and over again senior year. I even remember singing it while mopping and crying! oi. (in other news...the word verfication is marryw...weird!)

Kath July 1, 2011 at 11:37:00 AM MDT  

Happy birthday! We will surely know you because the you that is now on the outside has been on the inside all along....

About Me

My photo
A brand new mom trying to navigate the crazy world of mixed families, babies, and working full time. Phew! Just writing that makes me want to lie down.

Followers

Blog Archive

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP