The Life of Liz

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. ~Anne Frank

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Operation Wedding: Completed. Roll Credits.

My Wedding Day: it was perfect. And since basically none of it was at all thanks to me, I'd like to give credit where credit is due.

Pampams.
My maid of honor was outstanding. She came highly recommended with years of experience. She helped me find my dress and tiara, made all the American invitations/announcements, threw me a wedding shower, talked me down off several ledges (including my early morning wedding day flip out which involved me whining in a ludicrously high pitched, hysterical voice that I couldn't improvise vows in freakin' SPANISH!), curled my hair and did all my makeup. She was my right hand man (or really, my left hand woman) though the whole thing. Not to mention she afforded me the invaluably hilarious opportunity to translate for the men trying to hit on her in Spanish.

Dad.
My dad isn't really much of an international traveler. In fact, I believe this was his first trip out of the US. Having your first travel experience be a country like Nicaragua is not for the faint of heart! But he was a trouper! He looked very dashing in his new suit as he walked me down the aisle. My wedding would not have been perfect without him there.

Mommy.
The contributions of my mom extend far beyond just the couple days surrounding the wedding. Besides, ya know, all the raising me and stuff, she also came down to Managua for two whole weeks. It was so much fun having her around, watching sports, chatting, introducing her to my in-laws and my new city. She gracefully endured public transportation, no air conditioning, and the fact that my house doesn't have running water from 9am to 6pm every day. She also bought us a sweet fan after our old cheapy one bit the dust. I love that thing an inappropriate amount. My mom is always dependable, which sounds like a pretty lame compliment, but if you've ever had a wedding, you know that having someone who quietly and efficiently gets stuff done is priceless. She was a whiz with the steamer, got all the loose threads worked into my dress and helped wrestle me into my shoes (twice). Not to mention, she looked smokin' hot in her new gold dress!

Aunt Kathy.
My scalp voted to leave her off this list, but since I never listen to my scalp, here she is! Nobody teases hair like AK. She twirled her little blue comb and phoof! up went my hair into wedding photo perfection. Since I wasn't wearing a veil, it was pretty important that my hair look nice and impressive. I must say, Pam and Aunt Kathy did a masterful job. AK was also such a calming influence. I took many a deep breath at her insistence and felt much less like vomiting down the front of my pretty princess dress. When Pam and I were holed up in a utility hallway for a hour awaiting the start of the service, she kept popping in with happy updates ("Eli is here!" and "I don't know who all of the guests are here but many of them are wearing Eli's face, so I guess they're family").

Uncle Jim and John Matthews.
So the guys were obviously not directly involved in too much of the wedding preparations. But it didn't seem right to leave them off this list. I had an absolute blast hanging out with you guys. It made my heart so happy to watch you enjoy my second homeland - the food, the sights, the people. Thank you so much for coming all the long way down here. I'm not sure who ended up taking care of it, so I'm going to go ahead and give all the credit to UJ for arranging a hotel room for Eli and me on our wedding night so we didn't have to spend it on the sofa. Muchisimas gracias! Oh, and a special shout out to RJohn for bravely venturing into the dressing room to take getting ready pictures; camera held in one hand, man card clutched in the other.

Claudia.
My sister in law took a bus for three hours, standing up, holding a 13 month old in order to come to her little brother's wedding. Eli once told me that of all his family, she is the best of them. Despite the fact that all of his family is really amazing, I think he may have a valid point. I got to hang out with her a lot on Sunday and she is fabulous - hilarious, kind, generous, a great cook and a fount of funny stories of Eli's childhood (apparently he was a rather naughty little boy, so she would often tie one of his legs to table so she could get things done).

Eli.
Finally, the absolute bulk of the credit goes to my husband. He planned and organized basically everything. He spent the whole day of the wedding running around making sure everything was perfect. He picked up the rented suits, the cake, the catering equipment, the decorations. I never have to worry about anything he's in charge of; it will be done and done well. I loved how great he was with my family and that they got to see the funny, personable, wacky guy that I fell in love with. I loved that, even though he was so smooth in rehearsal, during the actual service, he was adorably nervous and spoke straight from his heart. He said he had no words to tell me of the love in his heart, that I had changed his whole life and he promised to love, honor, respect, console and protect me forever. In that moment I quit being nervous about trying to use my shaky Spanish skills to give a perfect vow performance and I just told him the most true thing I know: he is the love of my life. I had no idea when I came here that I would meet him, this man that always helps me, always guards me, always loves me. I too, promised to love, honor, respect, and console him for as long as I live.



What else is there to say? The cake was yummy, the location was beautiful, the pictures turned out great and most of all, I am in every way officially married to my prince charming. What a great life I have!

7 comments:

Kath September 29, 2011 at 1:58:00 PM MDT  

Beautifully and well spoken...I love you! AK

Maeve's Momma September 29, 2011 at 3:33:00 PM MDT  

Well done, you did it! I am so glad your wedding day was so fantastic, and nothing makes a wedding great like family and friends all coming together to make it happen :)

Mrs. Wallace September 29, 2011 at 4:29:00 PM MDT  

HERE HERE to all of the above! Love you! :-)

Jo September 29, 2011 at 5:25:00 PM MDT  

And here I thought I was all done tearing up--happy tears, of course!

John September 29, 2011 at 9:17:00 PM MDT  

One of the funnest weddings I've been to. Thanks for the invite, Liz! It was fantastico!

Sabba and Nanny October 3, 2011 at 10:58:00 AM MDT  

I love this post, but I must dispute your opening statement. The perfect wedding was in large part thanks to you. A perfect wedding requires a perfect bride, and you were the perfect bride, as Eli was the perfect groom. The glow of joy and happiness radiated from the two of you and imprinted itself on all of our faces throughout the evening. I can't remember smiling so much in years. It was a great privilege and blessing to be a tiny part of this wonderful occasion, and I did truly fall in love with your adopted, second homeland. I have been telling everyone about Nicaragua: the wonderful people, the delicious food, and Eli's sweet family. Your pastor, a humble man of God, helped make our visit perfect and presided over a meaningful ceremony. Eli certainly impressed us in every way. You have chosen well. Congratulations and blessings for a long and prosperous life together.

Marissa October 4, 2011 at 12:25:00 PM MDT  

What a wonderful post! Thanks for sharing some of the details! Between that and the pictures, it's almost like I got to be there...not quite, I guess. I'm so glad you got to be blessed by the people around you. I know the feeling. :-)

About Me

My photo
A brand new mom trying to navigate the crazy world of mixed families, babies, and working full time. Phew! Just writing that makes me want to lie down.

Followers

Blog Archive

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP