The Life of Liz

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. ~Anne Frank

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Rough Morning

You know that chapter in Little Women (assuming, for the moment, that you are either a woman or exceptionally well read) where Meg's new husband brings home a work friend for dinner all unknowing that his wife is currently engaged in a meltdown and hasn't actually made any dinner? Well, that was kind of my morning. I'd only really been awake for an hour and had lived through two complete mental breakdowns.

It was a traumatic morning.

It started off normally enough; I got up at 5:30 to fill up the water buckets and see Eli off to work. Then I burrowed back under the sheet and slept some more. If I had been smart, I would have stayed there until roughly tomorrow. I was a little disappointed that no one had bothered to cook anything for lunch and there weren't any breakfast materials, but hey, that's life right? No worries, I'll just go down to the store and pick up a couple things. Except, oh wait, someone of questionable parentage had deadbolted the door and the key only works from the outside. Maybe I should mention that my house is really tiny and I WAS LOCKED INSIDE WITH NO WAY OUT. Possibly I should also mentioned that I'm a little claustrophobic.

So I did what anyone would do: I sent several hysterical messages to my husband over the internet. Eli called me and had quite a bit of trouble understanding what, exactly, the hell was wrong with me. I finally managed to communicate that the door was locked and he told me to open it. I shrieked into the phone, in English, that I couldn't and hung up. Not really my finest wife-ing moment. Fortunately I married someone a lot nicer than I am and he left work, caught a ride with his boss' brother, borrowed keys from the landlord and opened the door. He then invited the guy in for a snack (as is customary in this culture); he (both of them, really) seemed a little confused by the whimpering nutjob in the Little Miss Sunshine pajamas.

In times of crisis, we tends to rely on routines to get us through. So I gathered up the dishes and took them outside to wash them. Only to discover that my roommates had used half the water and hadn't bothered to refill any of it despite the fact that there was still water when they left (ya know, right before they incarcerated me in the house). That's annoying but not really crisis provoking except that right at that moment I happened to notice that the dishes WERE CRAWLING WITH BUGS. AAAAAAAAA THE DISHES ARE ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meltdown #2.

Poor Eli, he totally married, well...me.

Here's hoping the day goes up from here. Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

Maeve's Momma October 13, 2011 at 4:02:00 PM MDT  

I would have LOST IT!!! Tomorrow can only be better!

Mrs. Wallace October 13, 2011 at 5:50:00 PM MDT  

OI OI OI! I hope the day has improved since you wrote this...and what a wonderful thing to be married to such a wonderful guy who loves inspite of good and bad wife-ing moments :-) Love you

Marissa October 18, 2011 at 11:01:00 AM MDT  

Wow...that's a bad day!

Way worse than my bad day last week when I somehow managed to spill a banana all over my clothes and the steering wheel of the car. Haha...life is just that way sometimes, huh.

I miss you and your craziness, friend! Hope things have gotten better!

About Me

My photo
A brand new mom trying to navigate the crazy world of mixed families, babies, and working full time. Phew! Just writing that makes me want to lie down.

Followers

Blog Archive

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP