The Life of Liz

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. ~Anne Frank

Friday, January 25, 2008

Oh Mr. Adams you are driving me to homicide!

I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace. That two become a law firm, and three or more become a Congress! ~John Adams, 1776.

I like to think of myself as a bit of a closet dork. I may be kidding myself and any fool can tell of my dorkness. But no matter, I hide it as best I can. Some times are more difficult that others.

If anyone has seen the movie Amazing Grace (and you should, 'cause it's a really good movie) then you might remember a character in the movie named Equiano (the former slave) who wrote his autobiography during the struggle to abolish the slave trade in England. In one of my classes (World History since 1500), we are reading that book. The professor started describing Equiano and I figured out that it was the same guy as in the movie and got so excited that I nearly shouted out "he was friends with William Wilberforce!" I managed not to, but only just. It's very hard to maintain a cool reputation when one has historical tourettes. But I do what I can.

I had another close call at work today. My boss listens either to obnoxious soft rock, or really loud techno, so I try to block out whatever he's listening to with my own stuff. Lately I've been on a bit of a kick (by which I mean stunningly addicted to) a british quiz show called QI. I highly recommend looking it up on youtube and watching every episode ever made as quickly as you can. I recommend this especially if you find yourself being too productive and need to put a stop to that.

Anyhow, my boss finds talking somewhat distracting so I came up with the brilliant plan of plugging in the ear buds from my ipod so I can listen privately.

This came in super handy today when I discovered that some lovely angel has posted bits of 1776 the musical (another movie you should see!) on youtube. Only very enthusiastic hand motions prevented me from singing along (outloud) and destoying the privacy of my dork moment. Luckily no one was within viewing range of me, so no one (who is not reading this) knows. *sneaky laughter* It could have been really bad had someone witnessed me; they might have wondered a bit about my ability to walk around without a helmet.

I really don't have a thesis to hold this blog together. I really just wanted to quote some 1776. Oh I know! Maybe you are struggling with your own secret dorkiness. Maybe it's not history, it could be stamp collecting or Star Trek. Take heart, my friend; there's nothing wrong with you. Think about buying some earphones.

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
A brand new mom trying to navigate the crazy world of mixed families, babies, and working full time. Phew! Just writing that makes me want to lie down.

Followers

Blog Archive

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP