The Life of Liz

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. ~Anne Frank

Friday, August 1, 2008

Juarez Mission Trip - Pt 1

About a week ago I got back from my second ever mission trip, and my first mission experience not in the USA. I had the privilege to be part of the Four Square Mile High District Mission Trip to Juarez, Mexico 2008.

I was initially a bit nervous about going and leave my safe, comfy group of heretic friends and spending 10 days with hard line Christians!!! The horror!! Lol. Hopefully by the end of this photo/story time, you will see that I was an idiot, and everyone who went on the trip was amazing and super nice. Oh, and I should probably mention that I don't own a camera so none of these pictures were taken by me. So thanks to everyone who's pictures I have shamelessly stolen!


Might as well start at the very beginning... A 14 hour bus ride from Littleton, Co. to El Paso, Tx (which is Spanish for "The Paso"). We left Sunday evening, drove all night, and arrived in El Paso the next morning. We stopped at a church in El Paso to eat lunch, freshen up, and divide up into the three site groups before we piled back on the van and crossed to border. (Picture: The church in El Paso had some of the strangest decorations I've ever seen...This 9 ft. suit of armor graced the lunch room entrance.)


(Picture: Having lunch in El Paso)


While we were chilling in Texas, I got to really meet my group. Jeff, the youth pastor at my church I already know (obviously!) but I didn't really know the 2 girls in our group. They were Kate and Amber, from Hope Chapel in Oahu. Amber is Jeff's niece and one of the funniest, sweetest girls I've ever met. Kate is Amber's best friend and a super fun bundle of Asian awesomeness. It was an honor for me to be their female adult and get to hang out with them!

(Picture: Amber and Kate)


Before I left Denver, my sister Pam, told me to keep an eye out for any girls who didn't have any leaders from their own Church's with them. I was ordered to take care of the girls. This task I took to heart, and anyone in my group (especially the construction group) can attest to the fact that I was a veritable walking first aid kit! But back to El Paso...I took the opportunity to introduce my 2 girls to Mackenzie and Jasmine, who were the sole representatives from their respective churches. Fortunately the 4 hit it off immediately and formed the most amazing and awesome group of girls anyone could have ever stinkin' hoped for!


(Picture: Kate, Amber, Mackenzie sitting on a bunk while Jasmine took a photo)

(Picture: Jasmine with a couple kiddies)

After lunch we were briefed on protocol, especially concerning the border crossing. Then we climbed back into the bus and drove to the border. We sat (and prayed) in a pretty tense silence while the bus driver got off and talked to the Mexican customs official. The driver came on and informed us that we'd need to get off the bus, get our luggage, and go through the searching process. A few minutes later we started driving and I assumed we were going to a special search place. Then the driver said, "Welcome to Mexico!" and explained that we had been waved through by a customs big wig official who recognized the bus company (their entire business is transporting churches on mission trips). He was sitting in the shade by the border and told to customs guy to "let them through, they do good work." Right from the very beginning it was clear that God was going before us!

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
A brand new mom trying to navigate the crazy world of mixed families, babies, and working full time. Phew! Just writing that makes me want to lie down.

Followers

Blog Archive

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP