The Life of Liz

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. ~Anne Frank

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Miracle of Life

On Great Expectations:


Obviously the big news ‘round here is that I’m 14 weeks pregnant. The first trimester wasn’t so bad. Besides being carsick and exhausted all the time, I at least had a good excuse for being an irrational grouch (not that this is unusual, I just don’t generally have such a handy reason).

I worried, what with the constant eating to stave off nausea and my utter cessation of gym attendance, that I would be a cow by the end of the first three months. But somehow I have only gained the recommended four pounds. Sure, my waist has disappeared and not one of my regular pants will close, but I’m still going to call it a win.



On Ultra Sounds:

Seeing your baby on an ultra sound is an interesting experience, particularly at 13-14 weeks. The problem is that you aren’t so much seeing your baby so much as seeing into your baby. If CSI and Bones have taught us anything, it’s that people look absolutely terrible without a healthy three layers of skin.

I was hoping for a nice fuzzy outline of something human shaped. What I actually saw was teeth and a spine and gaping eye sockets.

My first thought was nice and maternal (“aw, look at my widdle baby!”). My second thought was more along the lines of “sweet Jesus that nightmare thing is IN me!!!” There are some things you just can’t unsee.

Speaking of playing host to an alien life form, exactly what race am I at this current moment? I am usually whiter than wonder bread but the baby is half Hispanic. So am I bi-racial? Should I be putting that on my job application? It’s weird enough that my body has four arms and two heads right now.

The miracle of life: it’s a little creepy.



1 comments:

Maeve's Momma February 6, 2013 at 12:21:00 PM MST  

You hated my ultrasound with Maeve's alien-head and gaping eyeholes, too! LOL You can get ones with their skin on, but it costs about $200 so maybe not worth it!

And DO NOT worry about weight gain. It will come slowly but surely, and you will pack on a TON of pounds at the very end, by which point you will not care at all because the baby is coming SOON! And when I say a ton, I mean hardly any, because pregnant women are never, ever fat.

About Me

My photo
A brand new mom trying to navigate the crazy world of mixed families, babies, and working full time. Phew! Just writing that makes me want to lie down.

Followers

Blog Archive

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP